Legal Services At The Intersection Of Business And Life
Dan L. Nolan
- Personal Injury
Dan was raised in Nashville, Tennessee. He attended college at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. Dan stayed in Knoxville to attend law school at the University of Tennessee. He graduated with his law degree in 1965. He then practiced law briefly in Maryville and Knoxville, Tennessee before moving to Clarksville to join the firm, known then as Daniel, Harvill & Batson. Dan became a Member of the firm shortly thereafter and has practiced here ever since then.
He has more than forty years of experience as a trial attorney litigating and trying numerous jury and bench trials involving a wide range of issues in both state and federal courts.His practice includes Civil Rights, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Banking and Commercial Disputes, and Construction Law. Dan is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest peer review rating for professional excellence. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and is listed in Best's Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys.
Dan is also a Rule 31 Mediator. He is active in the practice of Alternative Dispute Resolution and is a member of the Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators and the Tennessee Academy of Mediators and Arbitrators. He has conducted mediations and arbitrations in cases involving Medical Malpractice, General Civil Damages, Commercial Issues, Civil Rights, Construction Law, and Employment Discrimination Claims.
Outside of his law practice, Dan has been active in both the state and in his local community. He served in the Tennessee Army National Guard and the U.S. Army Reserves. He was honorably discharged as a Captain. He is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association and has served in a variety of state-wide offices, including Vice President and President (1997-1998). Dan has also served on the TBA’s Board of Governors. He formerly served on the Advisory Committee of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee pursuant to the Civil Justice Reform Act. He has been a Hearing Committee Member for the State of Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility and is currently a member of the Tennessee Bar Foundation. On the local level, Dan has also served as President of the Montgomery County Bar Association. He has been a seminar speaker on multiple occasions in the areas of insurance law, general tort law, and related subjects for professional groups, including the Tennessee Bar Association, Montgomery County Bar Association, Cumberland Law School, Tennessee Law Enforcement Academy, and various insurance companies and private corporations. Dan is also a Kentucky Colonel.
Dan lives in Clarksville with his wife Dianne. They have two sons, Larry, a paramedic with Montgomery County EMS, and Mark, a Member in the law firm. Dan and Dianne also have seven grandchildren.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1965
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
- B.S. - 1966
- Major: Business Administration
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Delta Phi
- Montgomery County Bar Association, President, 1974 to 1974
- Tennessee Bar Association, Vice President, 1981 to 1982
- Tennessee Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1982 to 1984
- Tennessee Bar Association, Vice President, 1995 to 1996
- Tennessee Bar Association, President Elect, 1996 to 1997
- Tennessee Bar Association, President, 1997 to 1998
- Tennessee Bar Association, Immediate Past President, 1998 to 1999
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Hearing Committee for State of Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility, Member, 1991 to 1995
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
Certified Legal Specialties
- Trial Advocacy Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Rule 31 Mediator
Current Employment Position
- Tennessee, 1965
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1965
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998